1. PLANNING – they say if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. They also say that a goal without a plan is just a wish. I don’t know about you but I’m always thinking in advance about what I’m wearing throughout the week and for events so why not think about what we will be doing during the week or month ahead when it comes to scheduling nutrition and work outs. I make an online grocery delivery to ensure that I cannot be tempted to sneak treats into my trolley whilst I’m hungry and more liable to cave (as I’d normally have to go to the supermarket after work when I’m hungry). Make sure you have food available which you know is good for you and you can reach for quickly that will actually fill you up – think protein like some cooked chicken or a rice cake. If you allow tempting treats cross your threshold you will end up eating them!!!
2. RECORD – I don’t know about you but I LOVE stationary. Every September I had to have a new pencil case, the latest smelly gel pens and at university I became obsessed with highlighters. These days as a busy barrister it’s all about the sticky tabs to flag things in documents, Mont Blanc pens and a leather bound Smythson notebook. Why not treat yourself to a pretty food diary. I have a food planner from Princess Planning. It’s pink, it has a pen holder, there are meal planners each week, shopping lists that you can write out, each day you can record exactly what you have eaten, how hydrated you are, your mood and your exercise. It is very easy to forget that biscuit you had at 11am when you reach for another one at 3pm so record everything and you’ll soon see results.
3. DO NOT BE A SLAVE TO THE SCALES – scales have their point but what are you going to gain from stepping on the scales first thing in the morning, after you’ve been to the loo, at the end of the day. You will just make yourself miserable. Weight fluctuates during the day depending on a variety of factors including where us ladies are at in our cycle. If you must have scales in your house be strict. Once a week is fine but why not take measurements. If you are exercising you may be losing inches but putting on weight in muscle. Muscle weights more than fat!
4. HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE – watching what you eat does not mean you turn from a social butterfly to a hermit under a rock. Going out for dinner? Look ahead at the menu online so you can decide in advance what you’d like to eat. Remember that you are the customer so restaurants will want to cater for you! Ask for no oil (be like me and take fry light and ask the chef to cook your food in that oil), ask for veggies to be steamed, salad without the dressing, sauce on the side, swap chips for a jacket potato. Don’t be embarrassed. You are taking control by enjoying life and getting results.
5. CHEERS – yes you can still enjoy a glass of something. I’ll just leave this one here for you….champagne and prosecco has less sugar than wine! You can even buy skinny prosecco.